Location: London, UK
Duration: 6 Months | Salary: £250 per week gross
Closing Date: 14 Sep 2012
The Governance and Institutional Development Division (GIDD) is seeking a talented individual with excellent research, analytical and communication skills for a six month internship placement. The intern will primarily assist the division in carrying out and writing up research on areas related to the GIDD’s work, help to identify and communicate the impact of the Secretariat’s Public Sector Development programme, through the provision of research support.
The Commonwealth Secretariat’s Internship Programme combines practical work with a structured learning experience through specific briefs aimed at achieving identified objectives. It also provides professional development opportunities for recent graduates to gain experience and prepare for work.
- Conduct in-depth research on various thematic areas of GIDD’s programmatic work
- Assist and work with the various sections in GIDD to identify and communicate the key highlights and impact of the Division’s programmatic work
- Conduct research to document key achievements and “lessons learned” across GIDD’s programmatic work over the past four years, to inform the development of the Commonwealth Secretariat’s next four year Plan.
- Perform other duties appropriate to the position, including some programme support, as required.
Qualifications and Work Experience
- Recognised graduate level qualification in a relevant field: International Development, Public Administration and Development, etc.
- Desirable: Relevant Postgraduate level studies on-going or completed.
- Post holder should demonstrate:
- Understanding of the governance agenda in international development.
- Well developed research and analytical skills
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Ability to organise, plan and prioritise workload and work under pressure to deadlines
- Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Problem solving skills used to resolve routine and ad-hoc queries/ problems
- Ability to draft short promotional articles
- Ability to use own initiative
- Negotiating skills to interface at all levels
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with a variety of stakeholders
- Excellent IT, email and web skills including using Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, Access, Powerpoint
- Ability to meet the core Secretariat requirement of working effectively and sensitively in a multicultural environment
About the Governance and Institutional Development Division
The Governance and Institutional Development Division (GIDD) promotes the Commonwealth’s core principle of just and honest government and carries out the Secretariat’s mandate on public sector development. It is the largest Division responsible for managing the Commonwealth Fund for Technical Cooperation (CFTC).
GIDD’s work covers the full spectrum of public policy and administration. Its role is to provide advice and technical cooperation in capacity building and institutional development for poverty reduction and sustainable development in Commonwealth member countries. GIDD has in-house specialist expertise in areas such as governance, public sector reform initiatives, public expenditure management, human resource management and anti-corruption.